Finally. FINALLY! We've made it to the last of the "Red Obsession" reds! If you've been sticking with me, we've been through Essie Limited Addiction, Rescue Beauty Lounge Chinoise, Butter London Come to Bed Red, and OPI Keys to My Karma. I now present to you the final installment in the series - Butter London Pillar Box Red.
Can't describe this one too much better than what you see here in the photos. It's a bright, fire engine (or for you British girls - Pillar Box!) red. Similar to RBL Chinoise, but we'll get to that later. It's got a great formula, and applies perfectly in two coats. I wouldn't say it applies like as much of a dream as its sister Come to Bed Red, but it's pretty darn close.
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
A lovely red. It looks almost identical to RBL Chinoise in the bottle (and suuuuuper close on the nail), but I promise you it really is a smidge cooler-toned than Chinoise. For that reason, most folks may find it to be a bit easier to wear. My skin tone (as wacky as it is) seems to lean a bit warm, so I actually prefer Chinoise, which I fell IN LOVE with. Pillar Box Red falls a little flat for me.
Now, time for comparisons! I apologize for two things here:
1) I had to use a "claw" pose. It's just the only way I could get all five colors in one photo.
2) It's really MUCH easier to tell these colors apart in real life. I just could NOT get the camera to differentiate any better. Huge sad.
Thumb to Pinky: Essie Limited Addiction, BL Come to Bed Red, OPI Keys to My Karma, BL Pillar Box Red, RBL Chinoise
And, up close of the four closest alike (I swear, there IS a difference between Pillar Box Red and Chinoise!):
(L) to (R): BL Come to Bed Red, OPI Keys to My Karma, BL Pillar Box Red, RBL Chinoise
So, now that I've hit you with all five at once, here are my overall thoughts:
- Limited Addiction: Great deep "va-va-voom" red. A little on the streaky side, but a MUST have in my book.
- Come to Bed Red: In one word: AMAZING. The formula on this one straight up knocked my socks off. I think it's the best formula polish I've ever used. Seriously. Totally worth the $14. You need this one.
- Keys to My Karma: I love red jellies, but this one almost leans a little too pink for me. You can also tell by my cuticles that it doesn't clean up super nicely. If you're a red jelly hoor (like me), snag it, but otherwise I think you can pass.
- Pillar Box Red: I think I'm gonna have to say pass on this one. It's lovely, but for just the color, I prefer Chinoise (even at the higher price tag), and for Butter London, I'd suggest Come to Bed Red over this one any day.
- Chinoise: If you haven't guessed by now, I LOVE this one. Great formula, super pigmented. Totally worth it for me. I'd buy this one 100 times over.
Well, there ya have it, folks! Red Obsessions comes to a close, just in time for the imminent release of Spring collections (OMG.OPI.HOLLAND.I.DIE!). So what do you guys think? Do you own any of these reds? What are your favorites? I'd love to hear your opinions on these!