Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Essie Vermillionaire

If there's a color I've neglected even worse than pink, it's ORANGE.  I don't know why, but for some reason I've just always passed over orange polishes as "something I wouldn't wear" or something that's "not my style."  Famous last words, right?  ;-)

I was done for as soon as I saw Piff's swatch of Deborah Lippmann Lara's Theme on Polish or Perish.  I don't think any polish could look bad on her!  The lemming monster got me, and I was just about to shell out the $16 for it, when she posted a follow-up post identifying Essie Vermillionaire as a pretty darn close dupe.  Close enough!  I ran to my local beauty supply store and brought it home.

Vermillionaire is bright orange creme.  It's not a neon, so don't worry about it being too obnoxious.  It dries a smidge darker than the bottle color, and leans to the red side of orange (Just for funsies:  Vermilion is a red-orange pigment, hence the goofy name).  I'd say the last photo is the most color-accurate.  Application was perfect in two coats, and as expected from Essie, it's got that kind of squishy look to it.  After the fiasco that was Essie Sexy Divide, I was a little worried about the wear on this one.  No worries - I wore this for five days and had only minimal tip wear.  Woo-hoo!

(click to enlarge)
 (click to enlarge)

I'm not usually an orange fan, but holy cow - I LOVE this!  Love love love love LOVE!  It's a perfect summery orange.  Makes me wanna go eat a tangerine or something.  Bright enough for a good pedi (which is how I wore this the first time and was sad to take it off), but muted enough for me to wear it to work and not feel weird.  I wore it over the weekend when the hubby and I went to go see a play this weekend with my parents.  I paired it with this dress, and it was a match made in heaven!

Vermillionaire was released with Essie's Summer 2010 collection, but I'm pretty sure it's made its way to the core lineup.  I highly recommend it (especially if you're even remotely interested in Lara's Theme), even if you're not typically into orange.  I think this one may sway you!  It sure stole my heart!  :-)

10 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic on you! When I borrowed this one from Cilucia, I felt like I had traffic cones on my tips, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a reddish orange polish that i love! i feel like i can only pull it off in the summer when i have a tan though! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. i just used sea spray + white cap and i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!!

    p.p.s. Jessie - your pic on the "contact us" section cracks me up!!! i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Noelie - Haha! Sorry it didn't work out for you! But traffic cones can be fashionable, right?! ;-)

    @Missy - Haha I hear you! I have no tan whatsoever right now - like borderline glow-in-the-dark, but I'm still gonna rock that orange! :-P

    SOOOO glad you love Sea Spray and White Cap!! *\o/* YAY!! It's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love orange so much! It's unexpectedly sassy, haha. This looks fab on you, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Rach! I just missed you on my last post! LOL Thanks so much!! I'm so unexpectedly loving orange right now! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome on you! I need to check for comparisons to Braziliant...I have that one and need to wear it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, KayJay!

    Cilucia's got a great comparison of the two here:
    http://cilucia.blogspot.com/2011/06/essie-braziliant-and-essie.html

    The base colors seem similar, but Braziliant's got that cool shimmer. Definitely time to bust it out! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Courtney, are there any comparisons between Vermillionaire and Orange, it's Obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The red color nail polish is so cute to look. And also so stylish. It will be very fashionable with my ladies denim shirt . The nail polish is so lovely to see and also so stunning. Red is looking so attractive.

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite! No spam or links to other websites in the comments. Thanks!!!